For a small kitchen space, a compact Slimline dishwasher (18-inches) is the best way to get your dishes done for you while saving on your electricity and water bills.
Small (apartment-size) dishwashers save space, are energy efficient, and use less water – when taking care of those mountains of dirty plates after mealtimes.
This post contains affiliate links. Find more info in our disclaimer.
But, are small dishwashers any good?
A slimline dishwasher is not necessarily any less capable than a full-size dishwasher, but you need to shop wisely, which is what we’re here to help you with.
- Small Dishwasher Dimensions
- The Top 5 Slimline (18-Inch) Dishwashers of 2022
- Compact Dishwasher FAQ
Small Dishwasher Dimensions
Dishwashers come in a variety of dimensions. The standard dishwasher size is 24 x 35 inches.
Small dishwashers are defined as smaller than 24 inches wide. They can be built into cabinets, attached to the sink via hoses, and there are countertop models (table dishwashers) as well.
Most Slimline dishwashers measure up to 18 inches in width. The smallest dishwashers are 16-inch dishwashers. You can also go for under-sink, in-sink, and single-drawer versions that come in varying dimensions.
The Top 5 Slimline (18-Inch) Dishwashers of 2022
Here’s a short comparison table, below you’ll find the pros and cons of each mini dishwasher:
|Bottom Line||Dimensions/Capacity||Best Price|
|Faberware Portable Dishwasher||Best table dishwasher|
No water hookup necessary!
|4 place settings|
17'' x 16.5'' x 17"
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|hOmeLabs Compact Countertop||Best Portable Mini Dishwasher||6 place settings|
17.2" x 19.6" x 21.6"
|✅ $379 at Walmart or Amazon|
|Frigidaire 18" Built-In Dishwasher||Best Budget Built-In||8 place settings|
17" x 23" x 32"
|✅ $776 at Appliances Connection
or Check Price on Amazon
|Danby Portable Dishwasher||Best on Wheels||8 place settings|
26" x 17.7" x 36"
|✅ $513 at Walmart
or Check Price on Amazon
|Edge Star Portable Dishwasher||Most Energy Efficient||6 place settings|
21" x 19" x 17"
|✅ $269 at Overstock
or Check Price on Amazon
There are different types of compact dishwashers:
- Built-in (cabinets)
- Countertop (portable/table dishwashers)
- Under the sink
We know how challenging it can be to find the right kitchenette dishwasher for small spaces.
The great news is:
We’ve done all the research for you (and us) and below you’ll find the 5 best space-saving dishwashers on the market:
1. Farberware Portable Dishwasher Best Table Dishwasher
- Size: 17.3 x 16.5 x 17.3 inches
- Wash Cycles: 5 wash cycles – normal/rapid/babycare/fruit wash/glass)
While most condo-size dishwashers require hooking up to a faucet (which means you can’t use the sink for hours) and others are complicated to install, the Faberware portable 17″ dishwasher has a built-in five-liter tank and doesn’t require a water source or a hookup.
And if that’s not enough, the Faberware table dishwasher is pretty enough to leave out on the counter or table (with its see-through door to watch the cleaning) and is big enough for 12-inch dinner plates!
And, this one is so quiet you’ll probably forget you turned it on for the first time.
The Babycare program sanitizes baby bottles using steam, and you also get a fruit basket to wash your fruit with the fruit wash program.
The only con we’ve found is that you still have to hand wash your pots and pans – that won’t fit inside. It maxes out at about 2 glasses, 8 pieces of flatware, and one storage container. It won’t fit a household with more than 2 people.
- Very quiet – won’t interrupt those important kitchen conversations 😉
- Doesn’t require a water source or hookup – a true table dishwasher
- Sanitize option in babycare program
- Leak protection mechanism that prevents water damage
- requires filling it 3 times a 1.8-liter pitcher (included), sometimes it’s hard to not miss the mark without some splashes
- You’ll need to run the exit hose to the sink – below the dishwasher
✅ Price – check price on Amazon
2. hOmeLabs Compact Dishwasher Best Coutertop Mini Dishwasher
- Dimensions: 17.2 x 19.6 x 21.6 inches
- Capacity: 6 standard place setting
- Wash Cycles: 6 options – normal, heavy, glass, ECO, rinse and speed
- Energy Efficiency: energy star certified
The hOmeLabs small countertop (& portable) dishwasher is great for small kitchens or small office spaces.
This lightweight dishwasher comes with a six-place setting rack, and no tools are needed for assembly – thanks to the quick connect assembly with accessories included.
Users claim that it fits perfectly on the counter next to the sink and that it’s so effective they never had to wash anything for the second time.
hOmeLabs compact dishwasher Pros
- The controls are user-friendly.
- Efficient wash cycle – only 3.1 gallons of water are used each cycle
- Easy setup, takes only a few minutes
- Portable – you can take it with you when you move
- Does not require any extra tools for assembly
- Seamless digital display, just 4 small, white in-keeping buttons
- No water softener
- No rinse-only option
- Constant beep when finishes
3. Frigidaire 18″ Built-In Dishwasher Best Budget Built-in
- Dimensions: 17 x 23 x 32 inches
- Capacity: 8 place settings
- Rack Style: 2 Stainless steel racks
- Wash Cycles: 5
- Energy Efficiency: ENERGY STAR certified
Made with stainless steel interior and exterior, this durable small dishwasher has a sleek and modern design that we love and no less than 8 place settings.
It offers 5 wash cycles, 24-hour delay start, easy-to-use electronic controls, and a heated drying system.
A powerful yet time and money-saving dishwasher from the well-known American brand.
- Highly durable dishwasher, with a stainless steel tub
- High capacity, yet energy saving
- Sanitize option – operates at a higher temperature to fight bacteria and enhance drying results.
- You can choose between heated dry or energy saver (no heat) dry option
- Requires a hookup kit that is not included and has to be bought separately,
- Not the quietest one – Noise level is 58 dBA
4. Danby Portable Dishwasher Best on Wheels
- Capacity: 8 place settings
- Dimensions: 26 x 17.7 x 36 inches
- Wash cycles: 6
- Energy efficiency: Energy Star compliant
It uses up to 3.5 gallons of water per wash, and offers 6 wash cycles, including intensive, economy, normal, glass, soak, and rapid.
Danby portable dishwasher Pros
- Stainless steel interior
- Large capacity for an 18″ dishwasher
- Easy hookup, takes a few seconds to connect
- You’ll need an outlet close to your skin – the power cord is only 5 feet long, and the water hose is 3 feet long.
5. Edge Star Dishwasher Most Energy Efficient
- Dimensions: 21″ x 19″ x 17″
- Wash cycles: 7
- Capacity: 6 Standard place setting
- Rack Style: Cup shelf, cutlery basket, and dish rack
- Noise: 52.3 dB (Normal)
It fits under most kitchen cabinets, and most under the sink spaces as well, and comes with a drain hose which you would place in the sink for it to drain.
It requires no permanent set up (comes with a quick connect adapter that fits standard-sized kitchen faucets), and is super easy to operate.
👉 Edge Start Pros
- Saves a lot of money on your water and energy bills
- Super easy to operate with a digital display
- Built-in rinse agent dispenser to minimize water spots
- Water temperature is raised up to 149 F to kill bacteria
- Highly rated by Amazon buyers
- 1-year warranty
- You have to be gentle when you screw the hoses to avoid leaking
Compact Dishwasher FAQ
Can You Put a Countertop Dishwasher in a Cabinet?
No, you cannot. A countertop dishwasher is not intended or designed to be fixed inside a cabinet or under the counter. It can only be used and installed as instructed, mainly because the heat needs to be exhausted as it was designed to.
What is a Portable Dishwasher?
A countertop or portable dishwasher has a hose that can temporarily attach to your kitchen sink’s faucet.
However, this will only work in case the sink faucet contains a threaded faucet spout.
For instance, faucets that contain built-in sprayers do not possess threaded faucet spouts. These dishwashers are an excellent choice if you wash small loads of dishes daily.
How Long Does a Small Dishwasher Take to Run?
The standard run time of dishwashers is up to 2 hours. It can also sometimes be less, or more, according to the model type. On some models of dishwashers, you can even see the timer display.
Is an 18-inch Dishwasher Too Small?
Although 18-inch dishwashers are relatively smaller in size, they can take care of all the functions that full-sized dishwashers can.
The only difference is that these dishwashers can take up fewer loads of dishes at a time while also taking up less space in the kitchen.
The KM Team