For a small kitchen space, a compact dishwasher (18-inches) is the best way to get your dishes done for you while saving on your electricity and water bills.
Small dishwashers save space, are energy efficient, and use less water when taking care of those mountains of dirty plates after mealtimes.
This post contains affiliate links. Find more info in our disclaimer.
But, are small dishwashers any good?
A slimline dishwasher is not necessarily any less capable than a full-size dishwasher, but you need to shop wisely, which is what we’re here to help you with.
- Small Dishwasher Dimensions
- The Top 5 Compact Dishwashers (18-Inch)
- Compact Dishwasher FAQ
Small Dishwasher Dimensions
Dishwashers come in a variety of dimensions. The standard dishwasher size is 24 x 35 inches.
Small dishwashers are defined as smaller than 24 inches wide . They can be built into cabinets, attached to the sink via hoses, and there are countertop models as well.
Most compact dishwashers measure up to 18 inches in width. The smallest dishwashers are 16-inch dishwashers.
You can also go for under-sink, in-sink, and single-drawer versions that come in varying dimensions.
The Top 5 Compact Dishwashers (18-Inch)
Here’s a short comparison table, below you’ll find the pros and cons of each mini dishwasher:
|Bottom Line||Dimensions/Capacity||Best Price|
|Bosch 300 Built-in||🥇Best Built-In Small Dishwasher||9 place settings|
32'' x 17.5'' x 22.5"
|$797 at Appliances Connection|
|hOmeLabs Compact |
|Best Portable Mini Dishwasher||6 place settings|
17.2" x 19.6" x 21.6"
|$359 at Walmart|
|Frigidaire 18" |
|Best Budget Built-In||8 place settings|
17" x 23" x 32"
|$713 at Appliances Connection|
|Best on Wheels||8 place settings|
26" x 17.7" x 36"
|$597 at Home Depot|
|Most Energy Efficient||6 place settings|
21" x 19" x 17"
|$269 at Overstock|
There are different types of compact dishwashers:
- Built-in (cabinets)
- Countertop (portable)
- Under the sink
We know how challenging it can be to find the right kitchenette dishwasher for small spaces.
The great news is:
We’ve done all the research for you (and us) and below you’ll find the 5 best space-saving dishwashers on the market:
1. Bosch 300 Compact (18 inches) Dishwasher Best Built-In Small Dishwasher
The Bosch 300 is known as the quietest brand of dishwashers in the United States.
It has 3 height levels for 9 possible rack positions, it comes with a built-in water softener (for hard water), and has 4 wash cycle options, and a delay start option, delicate, sanitize, and extra dry.
Capacity: 9 place settings
Rack Style: 3 height levels and 9 different rack positions
Wash Cycles: 4 wash cycles – auto, heavy, rinse, and normal
Energy Efficiency: ENERGY STAR qualified, offering year-round energy savings
Noise: 46 dBA
Built-In Water Softener: Yes
👉 Bosch 300 Pros
- Very quiet – won’t interrupt those important kitchen conversations 😉
- Lower cost operation – ENERGY STAR qualified for year-round energy savings
- Sanitize option eliminates bacteria and enhances drying results
- Leak protection mechanism that prevents water damage
✅ Bosch 300 Cost – Best price at Appliances Connection
- Only small cups fit underneath the top cup holder – should have been placed higher
2. hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher Best Portable Mini Dishwasher
The hOmeLabs small countertop (& portable) dishwasher is great for small kitchens or small office spaces.
This lightweight dishwasher comes with a six-place setting rack, and no tools are needed for assembly – thanks to the quick connect assembly with accessories included.
At the cost of only about $300, you get everything from an impressive 6 place setting capacity to 6 different wash cycles.
Users claim that it fits perfectly on the counter next to the sink and that it’s so effective they never had to wash anything for the second time.
Dimensions: 17.2 x 19.6 x 21.6 inches
Capacity: 6 standard place setting
Wash Cycles: 6 options – normal, heavy, glass, ECO, rinse and speed
Energy Efficiency: energy star certified
👉 hOmeLabs compact dishwasher Pros
- The controls are user-friendly.
- Efficient wash cycle – only 3.1 gallons of water are used each cycle
- Easy setup, takes only a few minutes
- Portable – you can take it with you when you move
- Does not require any extra tools for assembly
- Seamless digital display, just 4 small, white in-keeping buttons
✅ hOmeLabs Compact Dishwasher Cost – Best price on Walmart
- No water softener
- No rinse-only option
- Constant beep when finishes
3. Frigidaire 18″ Built-In Dishwasher Best Budget Built-in
Made with stainless steel interior and exterior , this durable small dishwasher has a sleek and modern design that we love and no less than 8 place settings.
It offers 5 wash cycles, 24-hour delay start, easy to use electronic controls, and a heated drying system.
A powerful yet time and money-saving dishwasher from the well-known American brand.
Dimensions: 17 x 23 x 32 inches
Capacity: 8 place settings
Rack Style: 2 Stainless steel racks
Wash Cycles: 5
Energy Efficiency: ENERGY STAR certified
- Highly durable dishwasher, with a stainless steel tub
- High capacity, yet energy saving
- Sanitize option – operates at a higher temperature to fight bacteria and enhance drying results.
- You can choose between heated dry or energy saver (no heat) dry option
✅ Frigidaire small dishwasher cost – best price at Appliances Connection
- Requires a hookup kit that is not included and has to be bought separately,
- Not the quietest one – Noise level is 58 dBA
4. Danby Portable Dishwasher Best 18″ on Wheels
The Danby portable, free-standing dishwasher measures 17.7 inches wide but can accommodate up to 8 place settings and comes with easy-rolling wheels that make it easy to move around and store.
It uses up to 3.5 gallons of water per wash, and offers 6 wash cycles, including intensive, economy, normal, glass, soak, and rapid.
Capacity: 8 place settings
Dimensions: 26 x 17.7 x 36 inches
Wash cycles: 6
Energy efficiency: Energy Star compliant
Danby portable dishwasher Pros
- Stainless steel interior
- Large capacity for an 18″ dishwasher
- Easy hookup, takes a few seconds to connect
✅Price – best price on Home Depot
- You’ll need an outlet close to your skin – the power cord is only 5 feet long, and the water hose is 3 feet long.
5. Edge Star Dishwasher Most Energy Efficient
The Edge Star compact dishwasher uses only 200 kilowatts per hour (about 61% less than most countertop models) and uses only 2.85 gallons of water per wash .
It fits under most kitchen cabinets, and most under the sink spaces as well, and comes with a drain hose which you would place in the sink for it to drain.
It requires no permanent set up (comes with a quick connect adapter that fits standard-sized kitchen faucets), and is super easy to operate.
Dimensions: 21″ x 19″ x 17″
Wash cycles: 7
Capacity: 6 Standard place setting
Rack Style: Cup shelf, cutlery basket, and dish rack
Noise: 52.3 dB (Normal)
👉 Edge Start Pros
- Saves a lot of money on your water and energy bills
- Super easy to operate with a digital display
- Built-in rinse agent dispenser to minimize water spots
- Water temperature is raised up to 149 F to kill bacteria
- Highly rated by Amazon buyers
- 1-year warranty
✅Edge Start Cost – best price on Overstock
- You have to be gentle when you screw the hoses to avoid leaking
Compact Dishwasher FAQ
The KM Team