If you live alone, got a small family, or travel a lot, a mini rice cooker can simplify your life and help you make that perfect, fluffy rice for 1-2 people – fast and effortlessly – while saving you a lot of space.
Small rice cookers can cook brown rice, sushi rice, white rice, and a lot more.
Some models come with a steamer that you can use to make dumplings and steam vegetables.
The only question is:
How do you choose the best mini rice cooker for your specific needs?
We’re here to give you the 6 best options – in 2020.
👉 In a hurry? see our short comparison table first, or jump to our mini rice cookers reviews!
|Cuisinart CRC-400||3 cups||Best for Home|
|Aroma MiniRice Cooker||3 cups||Best budget|
|Zojirushi NHS-06||3 cups||Best for
|Dash Mini Rice Cooker||2 cups||Best compact
|PanasonicAutomaticRice Cooker||1.5 cups||Smallest
|White Tiger||3 cups||Most
Mini Rice Cookers – Overview
Mini rice cookers are small and lightweight electric pots made for 1-2 people and used to cook rice, steam vegetables, soup, and even pasta – on the go.
You can use them at home, on the road, in the office, or anywhere – in minimum space, mess, and effort.
Here are some of the features we looked for:
1. Cup Capacity
How many cups of rice can the small rice cooker handle?
Most small rice cookers have 1.5 – 4 cups of rice capacity. Choosing the size depends on your needs. For example, a 1.5 cups rice cooker is most recommended for travel. 4-cup capacity is better for home use.
2. Variety of Uses
Some rice cookers can do much more than just cook rice. Some can be used to steam food, and cook oats and grains.
If you only need to cook rice, you can purchase a lower-cost rice cooker and save some money.
And now, here are the best mini rice cookers in 2020. Below the comparison table, you’ll find each ones’ pros and cons.
The Top 6 Mini Rice Cookers (Reviews)
1. Cuisinart CRC-400 Rice Cooker Best for Home Use
This stylish, cube-shaped stainless steel rice cooker makes 4-7 cooked rice cups (2-3 uncooked), but can also be used to steam vegetables and chicken, and automatically keeps the food warm when the cooking is done.
It has a convenient control panel and comes with a stainless-steel steaming basket, non-stick cooking bowl, glass lid, paddle and measuring cup.
Size: 10.7 x 10.1 x 9.9 in
Weight: 7.4 ounces
Uses – white & brown rice, steaming vegetables, steaming chicken, and more.
👉 Cuisinart Mini Rice Cooker Pros
- Extremely lightweight
- Chrome-plated handles stay cool
- Dishwasher safe
- Has indicator lights to show cooking/warming
- chrome-plated handles stay cool to the touch.
- No splatter – steam vent prevents splattering
- Filling up to maximum capacity may cause overflow and a mess, so make sure to keep it under 4 cups.
- You may need to add more water for brown rice, which means you’ll have to reduce the amount of rice itself to prevent overflow
2. Aroma 3-Cup Mini Rice Cooker Best Budget
This budget-friendly small rice cooker only requires one push of a button to make up to 6 cups of cooked rice – inside a toxin-free, surgical-grade 304 stainless steel cooking bowl, and a tempered glass lid.
(👉 See the 5 best PFOA & PTFE-free cookware brands – in 2020)
When you buy on Amazon, it comes with a rice Measuring Cup and a serving Spatula.
Size: 11.10 x 10.40 x 8.10 inches
Weight: 3.3 pounds
Uses – rice, steaming, pasta, omelets, oatmeal, chili, soup, and more.
- Cooks rice within 15-20 minutes
- No need to monitor – automatically switches to warming mode when cooking is done
- Made of toxin-free materials and is dishwasher safe
- No fuzzy logic
- If left too long on the “warm” mode – rice may stick to the bottom
👉 Consider the digital model as well, which comes with a digital controller:
3. Zojirushi NHS-06 3-Cup Small Rice Cooker Best for Travel
This 3-cup Japanese (made in Japan) rice cooker is one of the highest-rated ones on Amazon and comes with a detachable power cord, which makes it very convenient to use when traveling.
It’s very easy to use with single switch control, a see-through lid and stay-cool knob and handles.
The nonstick inner pot keeps the food warm after the cooking is done, and it comes with a special measuring cup.
When you order from Amazon, you’ll also get a Spatula, Measuring Cup and Steaming Tray.
All in all, a good return for your money.
Size – 7.50 x 9.10 x 7.50 inches
Weight – 3.1 pounds
- The glass lid allows you to monitor the cooking
- Rice is done in 15-20 minutes – very fast
- Fit for travel and easy packing
- You won’t burn your hands, thanks to the stay-cool handles and knob
- Comes with free tech support on Amazon
- Doesn’t come with a steamer tray
4. Dash 2-cup Mini Rice Cooker & Steamer Best Compact Countertop
This popular 2-cup mini rice cooker is more than just a rice cooker, and can be used to steam vegetables, make soup, stew, pasta, oatmeal and more – for 1-2 people.
Anything you put inside with water will be cooked perfectly in less than 20 minutes and will keep warm once it’s done, and the colorful design will add to any kitchen decor.
The Dash’s small size and weight and the ease of use make it perfect for travel, small apartments, or college dorm life.
It comes with a rice paddle and a measuring cup, a recipe book, and made with PFOA-free nonstick coating.
Size – 6.3” * 6.3” * 8.5″
Weight – 2.4 pounds
Dash Small Rice Cooker Pros
- Great design – 5 colors to choose from
- Comes with recipes
- nontoxic coating
- Lowest price mini cooker on this list
- Cool-touch handles
- Pot is removable
- Can only make 1 cup of uncooked brown rice
5. Panasonic sr-3nal 1.5-cup automatic rice cooker – Smallest Rice Cooker
This one comes from the well known Panasonic brand and has high user reviews on Amazon. It only weighs 1.5 pounds and automatically cooks rice in one push of a button.
The pot is nonstick coated aluminum and cleans easily, even if you just made a mac n’ cheese meal, and the lid is made of glass with a plastic white knob.
Accessories included: measuring cup
Size – 5.91 x 7.68 x 7.09 inches
Weight – 1.5 pounds
👉 Panasonic Mini Rice Cooker Pros
- Lightweight and good for travel
- Automatically cooks and shuts off
- Can make enough rice for 4 people
- Easy to operate
- You’ll need to steer the food once the cooking is done to the food at the bottom from becoming crunchy
6. White Tiger 1.0L Mini Rice Cooker – Most Accessories
The White Tiger 3-cup rice cooker perfectly cooks a variety of rice – basmati, jasmine, brown, red rice white rice – evenly. Users report no burning or undercooked food – for 1-2 people.
It comes with a rice paddle, rice spoon, measuring cup, and a removable pot with PFOA-free nonstick coating.
Size – 6.50 x 6.30 x 8.10 inches
Weight – 2.55 pounds
White Tiger Mini Rice Cooker Pros
- Great for travel
- Very easy to use and clean
- Keep warm function keeps the food warm
- 24-hour customer service & 1-year warranty
- The silicone gasket is thin. It does not seem durable.
Mini Rice Cooker FAQ
Above were some of the best mini rice cookers in 2020. Although some features were common like ‘keep-warm’ and ‘one-touch on/off system’, every product had different capacities and a different method to ensure even distribution of heat.
our top choice for 2020 is the Dash mini rice cooker which has versatile uses, cooks under 20 minutes and is a good fit for travel and camping as well.